The indoor components of your Schaumburg, IL, central air conditioner include an evaporator coil and an air handler. If these indoor AC components go bad, the upshot could be an uncomfortable house and an AC repair or replacement.
What Does the Evaporator Coil Do?
Air conditioners cannot operate properly without the evaporator coil. The coil absorbs heat and humidity from indoor air, turns it into moisture, and moves it outside through a drainpipe.
What Does the Air Handler Do?
The air handler distributes cooled air throughout your home according to the thermostat setting. As air travels through the handler, it passes through a filter where contaminants are removed. Changing your filter regularly helps your air handler to operate efficiently.
How Do I Know If My Evaporator Coil Is Bad?
- Warm air coming through the vents
- AC short-cycling and not cooling properly
- There is a refrigerant leak
How Do I Know If My Air Handler Is Bad?
- The unit freezes up in summer
- Airflow is minimal or inconsistent
- Presence of cracks that encourage organic growth
- The blower motor is malfunctioning
- You need frequent AC repairs
- Energy bills are becoming unmanageable
Benefits of Professional Installations and Upgrades
Replacing an ailing evaporator coil can be a worthwhile investment if your outdoor unit is still in good repair. The benefits of AC evaporator replacement include the following:
- Increases energy efficiency
- Balances the evaporator coil with the condenser coil to optimize performance
- Extends AC lifespan
The team at Ray’s HVAC can advise you whether to repair or replace a bad coil or air handler. Call us for a professional diagnosis.