Although there’s still time to enjoy some summer fun in the sun in Schaumburg, Illinois, the cooler weather is fast approaching — and that means prepping your heating system for the winter. Here are three HVAC maintenance tasks you should consider performing before the blustery temperatures arrive.
Change Your HVAC System’s Air Filter
Although you should have been changing your HVAC system’s air filter at least once per month during the hot summer months, you definitely need to change it before the heating season begins. Some of the advantages of doing so include:
- Prolong your heating system’s life. A dirty air filter can lead to major breakdowns.
- Lower your energy costs. Save up to 15 percent on your heating bill.
- Breathe cleaner air. Considering you spend most of the winter time indoors, you’ll want to maximize your home’s indoor air quality.
Check Your Air Ducts for Leaks and Obstructions
Another HVAC maintenance task you can perform on your own is checking your home’s air ducts for leaks and obstructions. Finding major leaks in the middle of winter can lead to costly repairs at the worst time possible. Check all exposed air ducts for dents, holes and any other signs of leaking air.
Consider Scheduling Preventative HVAC Maintenance
Although it’s an upfront cost, professional preventative heating maintenance can save you hundreds, possibly more, in repairs and utility bills over the course of your system’s life. When you hire an HVAC contractor, you can expect him or her to:
- Test for carbon monoxide and check your system for safety concerns.
- Inspect all moving parts of your system and verify accordingly.
- Evaluate and calibrate all other parts of the heating system.
For more information about how you can prepare for the Illinois winter and ensure your heating system is ready for it, check out this article about where you might possibly lose heat or contact us at 847-637-5287.